Back to all articles

Organizers: We can restart world tennis

23. July 2020

Two players from the World TOP 10, featuring Simona Halep as well as domestic stars, are confirmed for the upcoming tournament in Prague. Wednesday’s press conference at the Sparta Prague Tennis Club was used to announce the participants of the upcoming WTA tournament, Prague Open. “We can restart world tennis again. We are succeeding in creating a project that will serve as a beacon at sea to all tennis fans,” said the Czech Tennis Association’s President Ivo Kaderka, agreeing with tournament director David Trunda.

“The biggest sporting event of 2020 in the Czech Republic is going underway thanks in large to cooperation with the Sparta Prague Tennis Club. Today I can say with great pleasure that the unexpected is becoming a reality – our line-up features stars that we have never even dreamed of having here in Prague,” said a very enthusiastic Ivo Kaderka.

“The biggest star is last year’s Wimbledon winner Simona Halep. Not only is she an exceptional tennis player, but she’s also a great human being. The second is Belinda Bencic,” he announced. “Unless something unexpected happens, we will see both the Wimbledon Champion and the Wimbledon finalist here in Prague soon.”

“Representatives of the WTA noticed just how quickly and how well we returned to hosting tennis events. Whilst everybody around is just waking up, we are already hard at work restarting world tennis,” added Kaderka pointing out David Trunda’s great work in the past few months.

And it was the tournament director who spoke next. “Communication with the WTA takes place on a daily basis. We are succeeding in creating an inspirational project to all,” he said, adding that the tournament was allocated $ 225 500.

“We were able to successfully negotiate with representatives of Simona Halep and Belinda Bencic. Among the registered Czech players are Markéta Vondrušová, Karolína Muchová, Barbora Strýcová and Kateřina Siniaková. We still have one or two wild cards for the main competition to award, whilst our four wild cards for Qualification will be granted to our young players,” said David Trunda.

Eugenie Bouchard was awarded a wild card for the main competition. The former World Number 5 and 2014 Wimbledon finalist (she lost to Petra Kvitová in the Final that year) is, similarly to Halep, looking forward to the tournament in the beautiful city of Prague. Press conference attendees could hear this for themselves in videos each player sent greeting tournament fans over video.

In addition to Kristýna Plíšková and Barbora Krejčíková, Qualification will also feature 15-year-old Lucie Hlaváčková and 16-year-old Barbora Palicová. “I only learned about receiving the wild card recently. I’m extremely happy. I would like to thank Sparta for giving me this opportunity and I’m really looking forward to it because these are my home courts,” said a visibly pleased Palicová.

“I share the same feelings as Bára. I would like to thank Sparta and Mr. Kaderka for giving me this opportunity. I am really looking forward to it,” added Havlíčková. Both players agreed that if they managed to make it into the main competition that they would both like to face Halep.

The tournament held at the Sparta Prague Tennis Club will take place without spectators. The organizers assured the press that if any special hygiene regulations came into place, they would be met by all participants and organizers.

photo: TK SPARTA PRAHA/Pavel Lebeda (sport-pics.cz)

Autor: eSports